Please remember that sidewalks must always be kept clear of snow & ice, whether it's from a storm, wind, or plows. When snow & ice can't be completely removed, spreading sand on the sidewalk can help people stay safe. Sand is available free of charge.
It's your responsibility to keep your sidewalk in front of your home or business clear and not slippery or hazardous. If you absolutely cannot remove the snow and ice, putting a sand/salt mix on top of it can help people get across it safely until conditions allow you to remove it completely.
Residential Sand & Salt Mix is available at:
- Atwell Park, on the corner of Jordan and Soo Marie
- Morton Park, on the corner of Michigan and Bush
- The corner of Phillips and College
- The corner of Fifth Ave. & Second St.
- See a Map of these Locations (PDF)
Sand for residential sidewalks is also available to City residents Free-of-Charge at the City Garage at 100 Sixth Ave.
- Each resident is limited to two (2) five-gallon buckets
- You provide your own buckets/pails.
Thank you for keeping the sidewalk in front of your property safe for your neighbors and others who uses them to travel through your neighborhood!
Finally, if you have a fire hydrant near your house, please keep snow cleared away from it. If there's a fire, the home you save could be your own!