The National Weather Service has issued a heat advisory for our area through 5 p.m. Friday. There will be an increased risk of heat-related illnesses as the week progresses. The best defense against heat-related illness is prevention.
Staying cool, drinking plenty of fluids, wearing cool clothing and monitoring outdoor activities are keys to staying healthy in hot weather.
• Schedule outdoor activities for early morning or evening, if possible.
• Stay indoors in air conditioning as much as possible.
• Drink plenty of fluids but avoid drinks with alcohol, caffeine or a lot of sugar.
• Start drinking fluids before going out into the heat.
• Wear lightweight, light-colored, loose fitting clothing.
• Check frequently on the elderly and those who are ill or may need help.
• Don’t forget heat impact pets, too.
• Don’t leave children or pets in parked cars.
Cooling centers in the City of Stevens Point are the Portage County Library, the Lincoln Center, the Portage County Health and Human Services building, and the Salvation Army.