Household Hazardous Waste
Household Hazardous Waste Program
- March - November
- By Appointment Only. Call 715-346-1931
- Transfer Facility, 650 Moore Rd., Plover, WI 54467
(list is not inclusive)
- Degreasers, fuel line antifreeze, gasoline, fuels, carburetor cleaner, waxes.
Lawn & Garden
- Fertilizer, weed killer, insect & bug killer, mothballs, rodent poison, and pool chemicals
Cleaning & Maintenance
- Drain cleaners, metal cleaners, oven cleaners, furniture polish, toilet, tub & tile cleaners, and mercury thermostats & thermometers
Hobby & Home
- Adhesives & glues, floor wax & furniture stripper, oil & lead-based paint, mineral spirits, paint thinner & remover, stain, varnish, lacquer, lighter fluid, turpentine, and wood preservative.
- Full or partially full aerosol cans
The program is partially subsidized by a grant from the Department of Trade and Consumer Protection and the Portage County Solid Waste Department.
Participants pay a small fee of $0.75 per pound for most items to cover the remaining disposal cost.
Latex paint is NOT hazardous waste and is not included in this program. If you take latex paint to the Transfer Facility, the cost of leaving it there is $1.50 per pound.
However, you can dry out latex paint at home and throw it in your garbage cart. Mix any partially-empty paint can with a commercial paint hardener, OilDri, or cat litter, and let it dry. When the paint is no longer liquid, toss it in the trash with the lid off.
Site Coordinator Abby Lichtscheidl, recording the weight of household hazardous waste.