Hiring / Recruitment
To combat financial hardships on EMS departments, the Wis. Dept. of Health Services invited EMS Providers to apply for $12 million in EMS Flex Grant funding. The Stevens Point Fire Dept. was awarded $30,750 to purchase a Rapid Deploy Water Rescue Craft. Read More
The Stevens Point Fire Department hires new recruits based on need utilizing a list system. The Department participates in regional hiring processes and individual hiring processes run by the Department.
The Fire Department is comprised of 45 highly dedicated and skilled men and women providing emergency medical and fire services and public education to a coverage area spanning over 800 square miles. During 2020, the Stevens Point Fire Department responded to over 4,300 calls for service, the majority being cared for by our five Advanced Life Support/Paramedic Units. Stevens Point Fire Department and Mid-State Technical College entered into a ten-year collaborative agreement to expand local and regional training offerings in fire protection and emergency services, including a state of the art training facility.
There are two fire stations in the City of Stevens Point strategically placed to provide the quickest service possible. Each Station is staffed with a minimum of four cross-trained, licensed paramedic/fire personnel – Lieutenant, MPO, and Firefighters.
Firefighters currently work a California Swing schedule with opportunities for overtime. Stevens Point Firefighters are represented by IAFF Local 484 and are provided generous compensation package including vacation, paid holidays, paid sick leave, bonus time off, uniforms, longevity, health insurance, dental insurance, and Wisconsin Retirement System.
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
- Must have a High School Diploma or GED-HSEC.
- Must have a valid Wisconsin Driver’s License at date of hire.
- Must have US citizenship at date of hire.
- Must have a valid Candidate Physical Ability Test (CPAT) dated within 1 year at the time of conditional job offer.
- Must have a Wisconsin Firefighter 1 certification or IFSAC accredited equivalent Firefighter 1 certification at date of hire.
- Must be an NREMT-Paramedic or obtain within 1 year of date of hire and be eligible for a WI Paramedic License. Paramedic students are encouraged to apply.
- Must have a Wisconsin Firefighter 2 certification or IFSAC accredited equivalent certification within 1 year of date of hire.
- Must reside within Portage County, WI within 6 months of completion of probationary period.