What We Do and Do Not Recycle

Curbside Recycling - Items We Do Collect

Rinse and mix all containers together with other recyclables in the cart

  • Cans
    • Steel (push partially attached lid into can) 
    • Empty Aerosol (non-pesticide only) 
    • Aluminum (do not crush) 
  • Glass
    • Jars & Bottles (no window glass)
  • Plastics 
    • Most #1 - #7 Plastics
    • Leave caps/lids on containers.. 
    • Plastic containers (bottles, jugs, food, beverage, deli, ice cream, yogurt, cottage cheese, bakery, medicine/pill, kitty litter containers. 
  • Paper 
    • Office paper, junk mail, catalogs, envelopes (with or without windows), magazines, newspapers, phonebooks, paperback books, and paper bags. Flatten all: Paper egg cartons, containerboard, cardboard, rolls and tubes. (You may mix together in a paper bag and put that in the cart to minimize contamination.)

Items We Do Not Recycle

Place these items and non-demolition items in your brown lid refuse cart. 

  • Plastic film, shrink wrap or bags (any #), 
  • Plastic straws, plates, silverware, drink pouches, frozen food containers, food, 
  • Styrofoam (egg cartons, hot beverage cups, plates, formed packing pieces, or packing peanuts), foam/polystyrene
  • Aluminum foil & baking pans, metal or plastic liners
  • Motor oil containers, light bulbs, mirrors, window glass, ceramics, clay pots, tissue products, paper towels, soiled paper, dirty cardboard, CD cases, vinyl (siding, etc.) 
  • Large plastic Items (15 gallon containers or larger, furniture items, toys, etc.) are considered garbage. 
  • Aseptic Boxes and Paper Cartons: soup, milk, broth, orange juice, soy milk, etc. 


Wisconsin’s electronics recycling law bans the landfilling of computers, laptops, printers, televisions, computer peripherals, fax machines, DVD players, VCRs and other video players (i.e., DVRs), phones, video displays, etc. 

Contact the Street Dept. at 346-1537 or the Portage County Solid Waste Dept. at 343-6297 for an e-cycle drop-off location. 


Self-haul these items to Stevens Point’s Drop-off Site at 100 Sixth Avenue or the Portage County Solid Waste Department Transfer Facility at 650 Moore Road 

  • Lead acid vehicle batteries
  • Motor Oil. Do not mix used motor oil with gasoline, solvents, oil-gas mixture, or water contaminated oil. Put in clear screw cap plastic container (max 2.5 gallons). 
  • Used automotive oil filters and absorbent materials are banned from Wisconsin landfills. Filters can be taken free to the Stevens Point Drop-off or the Portage County Solid Waste Department for a fee. 
  • Yard materials (leaves, grass clippings, plant stalks, flowers, twigs/sticks). Self-haul to the Stevens Point drop-off site. For home composting options, call Portage County Solid Waste Department info Line 343-6297. 
  • Demolition Material will not be collected, but small amounts may be brought to the Stevens Point Drop-off on certain days for a fee. Call the Street Dept. at 346-1537 for more information. Debris from major remodeling, construction projects should be self-hauled to the Portage County Solid Waste Dept. Transfer Facility. 

Take these items to the Portage Co. Solid Waste Dept Transfer Facility (by  Appointment Only 343-6297). 

  • Household Hazardous Waste, degreasers, fuel, auto fluids, solvents, yard/garden pest controls, household cleaners, paints swimming pool chemicals, gun cleaning fluid, creosote, photography chemicals, etc. 


Put only dried out latex paint and empty paint cans (with lids off) in your garbage cart.